Monday, October 03, 2005

My new favorite pastime

I need to add a couple of my lobster pictures and weigh in on this new-found hobby, which I consider one of the most enjoyable forms of wildlife harrassment I have ever been a part of. Not the hoopnetting form of lobster chasing, because so far it sucks. I suspect that the perforated tins of cat food we put in our hoopnets just weren't the right bait, although Mark insists we maybe just didn't have the right flavor of cat food. Whatever the reason, instead of seeing hoopnets spilling over with the lobsters that we knew were down there, I got to spend the wee hours of Friday night looking at Mark's back:



Having the picky little bastards completely ignore our efforts on Friday night made it all the more satisfying to go hunt them down where they live, and that's what we spent pretty much our entire weekend doing. It reminded me of being 5 years old again looking for crayfish in the creek. No gear needed (although I'd recommend gloves), you just keep looking under rocks until you find them and then flail around like mad until you either catch them or they find another rock to hide under.

It must be the lack of gear required, and hence the lack of product placement opportunities, that accounts for the absence of shows dedicated to lobstering on the Outdoor Life Network. But for all you OLN execs that I know are keeping up with the Mark and Chuck Channel and thinking about giving us our own show, I think this would make for at least two or three good episodes. Aside from all the great reef wildlife shots there would be tons of great footage of missed grabs, with Mark or myself flailing wildly and lobsters scattering everywhere - it would be like a non-stop bloopers reel. And for some added drama we could have a simulated leapord shark attack. Mark says they're docile, but I'm guessing the majority of the general public doesn't know that, and if you get the camera close enough to it you could make it look really big. Then you throw some scary shark attack music in the background, get a little footage of me looking panicky and thrashing around - you've got yourself a thrilling show. If we can't find a leopard shark we could probably do the same thing with a bat ray or a jellyfish or something, either way it would be cinematic gold.

Anyway, here's a picture of the three lobsters that came home with me tonight:



I like to think that I made their last couple hours pretty exciting by giving them a ride in the back of a pickup truck.

In summary, chasing lobsters rocks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home