Monday, July 11, 2005

Backlogging: Chuck and Jen Catch Yellowtail #2

This is the entry I posted to the local kayak fishing after taking Jen fishing in La Jolla Cove on July 10th:

All is right with the world.

When my friend Mark and I went in together to buy the old cracked tandem kayak we spent weeks getting rigged for fishing, we shared a dream of one day catching a yellowtail. After about half a dozen trips in La Jolla we were unsuccessful but not discouraged - the occasional barrecuda and calico were enough to keep us coming back. Imagine my dismay though when I went to attend a wedding one weekend and get a voicemail saying that Mark had taken his girlfriend out in my absence and boated the first yellowtail either of us had seen from a kayak, using my fishing rod no less.

Well, I've heard it said that what goes around comes around, and yesterday made me a believer. Mark had to attend a wedding this weekend and I talked my lady into paddling out with me in La Jolla at about 4pm yesterday. Just beyond the buoy she jigged me up a few spanish and we paddled out into some open water northwest of the hotel. About 10 minutes after deploying two of these - one with a sinker, one fly-lined - the top bait started slowly pulling line against the clicker. I let it go for a few seconds then clicked it into gear and gave a tug. I felt some resistance and pulled in about 10 yards thinking I must have hooked a small barrecuda or a calico until the rod doubled over and the fish made a strong run to the south. Right about then the bottom bait went off as well and I handed it to my first mate, but after she fought it for about 30 seconds whatever it was spit the hook. About 10 minutes and a few kelp stringers later I had my first kayak yellowtail aboard and blood everywhere. The best part: it chose to bite the fish attached to Mark's rod. The symmetry of the entire thing is just uncanny.



Props to my woman for the assist and the photos. We went home, cleaned the fish, and then gorged ourselves on hamachi (yellowtail sushi) and sweet rice. Mark was due home from the airport in about an hour, so I went and left the carcass with head attached on his doorstep.



Revenge is sweet,
Chuck (in the big ugly white tandem)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home